Running This Week + My Go-To Spring Breakfast

Happy Friday!

Today is actually a rest day for me, so I wanted to catch you up on my runs from this week. This week is officially the second week of my full marathon training plan, and it’s been a while since a Garmin watch picture appeared on the blog. I thought I’d bring it back, you know, so you can see that I actually still run every so often!

Monday on the training plan called for 30 minutes. I had a great sleep Sunday night and woke up a bit before 6am on Monday morning. I quickly put my running gear on and headed out the door right on time at 6am. I ran around my neighbourhood and some side streets nearby, then finished up with some stretching. 9:03 average pace per mile, and I covered 3.33 miles.

Next up was Tuesday. 50 minutes on the plan. I started off feeling a little bit stiff, but my legs quickly loosened up after the first few miles. I ran on a mixture of roads and trails, but somewhere down the line I paused my Garmin and instead of hitting GO again, I guess I ERASED EVERYTHING. Boo. That sucked. On the bright side, I knew I was at 4.95 miles and had about five minutes left of running. The last mile-ish was run on the trail, and I ended up with 5.5 miles after the 50 minute time limit was up. Stretching after.

Wednesdays on the marathon plan are cross-training days. I slept in an hour and ten minutes past my alarm Wednesday morning, so I had to fit in a quick workout after work. We were having my family over for dinner, which meant I had to speed tidy and get ready for dinner in a super short amount of time. That being said, I was able to complete a good strength training workout in 30 minutes. I focused on upper body and lower body, and incorporated kettlebell swings (which I did with a dumbbell) and single-legged deadlifts. It was a challenge but left me feeling refreshed and accomplished. After my workout was done, I hit the mat for about ten minutes of core work.

That brings us to yesterday. Yesterday I took a personal day from work to go to a few appointments, and fit in my 50 minute training run between everything else going on that day. It was pouring rain and windy at the time, so I headed to the treadmill to complete the workout. I ran an easy 9:25/per mile average pace and covered 5.31 miles. Once I came back inside, I stretched and spent some time foam rolling. I used to foam roll after every single run, which is probably not a terrible thing to do since it is so beneficial, but it just didn’t happen after every run this week. I wanted to make the effort to get a good foam rolling session in and my legs are thankful that I did!

Of course, I’ve been documenting everything in my running journal! When I had a spare moment to sit down yesterday I put on my essential oil diffuser and got to work. I like to be extra prepared with the blog in terms of having well thought out content to give to you guys, so it was nice to get a bit of that in during the day. Plus it’s a great way to clear the head!

So far, and I say this because it’s only been two weeks, marathon training is going well. My body was so used to the higher mileage that I think I have thrown it off a little bit by dropping the mileage. Nevertheless, I know it is a good thing to build up, especially the long runs, and it will pay off in the end. Plus, the cross training doesn’t hurt! Logging everything in the journal keeps me accountable, and I have been pre-writing in my workouts so then I know exactly what I am doing that day. Having a plan takes the guesswork out of it, and it feels good to follow a structured plan!

I also wanted to share something I have been eating for breakfast this past week. You guys know I am a huge fan of oatmeal, but it’s important to switch things up so your body gets a wide variety of vitamins and nutrients. Plus, when it is boiling hot outside, I don’t always want a steaming bowl of oats. So, I have been making veggie frittatas. The one I made yesterday (I was craving eggs after my run!) was zucchini, broccoli (stems and all!), purple onion, and mushrooms. I used 1/2 cup of egg whites and one whole egg, then topped it with salsa. It was delicious and an excellent way to get in a ton of veggies in!

There’s the update for ya! I am running long tomorrow and will recap that (and the weekend) on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *