Self-love can be a battle and a blessing at the same time. Now that I am growing up and exploring hobbies that truly make me happy, I have started working towards being by myself and truly appreciating that time. As much as I love being around others or hanging out with loved ones, sometimes we neglect the importance of hanging out with ourselves and the benefits that go along with it.
Here are five reasons why you should hang out with yourself! No particular order.
1. You can do whatever you want: If you can, pick one day of the week to spend completely to yourself. Go wherever you want to go, spend the day looking in stores YOU want to look at, or spend the majority of the day reading in bed if that’s what you want to do! You do not have to commit this every single week – when time permits it’s great, too.
2. You realize how much fun YOU are. Yes, it can be great to be in a crowd or surrounded by people, but it can be so good for the soul to just have a “me day” or even a “me hour.” Take yourself out on a date, bake something you love, or dance around your house with the music blasted. Having fun by yourself can release stress and make you feel more happy.
3. You learn to trust yourself. I am not the kind of person that enjoys relying on others, and of course there are circumstances where you need to enlist others for support. However, the more time you take for yourself, the more you learn that you are truly capable of doing things maybe you weren’t confident in doing before. When I am by myself, I entertain myself and don’t look towards others to make me happy or fill my day with activities. Trust your heart to guide you in the right direction, and you will end up right where you need to be!
4. Your time is on your own terms. When you are by yourself, you don’t have any deadlines. If I have a free day all to myself and there is no where I absolutely need to be, I tend to relax a lot more. I take more time in the morning to do my planner, read, drink coffee, enjoy my breakfast. You can spend as much (or as little) time on a task. Who likes to rush, anyway?
5. It can do wonders for your mental health. When I have had a crazy work week, having a moment to breathe and honour myself can do wonders for my mind. Lately this has been taking time out to have an Epsom salt bath or stretch it out to relax. I don’t know about you, but a million thoughts go through my mind (or so it feels like) during a day, but taking a time out to just zen out instantly brings my stress levels down. Although it can be hard to take a break from the daily rush, I promise it will be worthwhile! Pick up a paint brush, read a book, take a bubble bath, watch some gossip TV. Do something that separates you from the rat race, take a moment to relax, and then come back to the real world with a fresh mind.
Why do YOU like to hang out with yourself? Leave a comment below with your perfect “me day” plan : )